Sunday, August 05, 2007

You've got mail ...again

I watched You've got mail for the umpteenth time on a Sunday afternoon. And I ended up falling in love with it and its soundtrack all over again. Infact I am listening to it right now....and I am so in love with the quaint little shop around the corner. (This movie by the way, has been taken from an older movie of the name "The shop around the corner". :) ) Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks are probably all that I could advise on a sultry afternoon. I don't know, either there is something about the characters or the story or just the idea of the books and bookstore..... that gets me.

But thats ofcourse, not all that I did. I cooked Tandoori chicken (in which the seasoning hadn't really soaked all through bcoz of not long enough marination) but it still tasted good. And I made brownies and had it with ice-cream...... I wish I had had somebody to invite over ....... no not for company sakes alone ..........also for compliments , even false ones would do. :)

Contd on Monday:

My friend(Shriram) has been pulling my leg lately about how my accent has changed. I guess thats not all thats changing, outlooks, perspectives and acceptance of a lot of things and ways of life....... Ahh , can anybody be more obtuse. :)

Its become a difficult thing of late for me, to explain what exactly is an arranged marriage. More horrifying (for me), is the apalling stares I get at the end of it...... and seeing the idea sink in, that it may be possible to get married and then fall in love. Don't get me wrong, I am not a proponent or opponent of either arranged or love marriage. We'll talk about my views on love some other day , if I ever talk about it that is. :)
Anyway, so where was I...... at this luncheon, with a bunch of girls from all over the world probably, Russia , Ghana, China, India, USA. Somehow (I gloss over details here), the question of arranged marriage and parents asking us to get married came up. My vague attempt at trying to explain arranged marriage as a means by which your parents or others set you up to meet somebody and then see if things work out, did not exactly get notes of applause. :). I also did say its an alternative for us as opposed to falling in love and getting married. To this, Rachael, the intern in our team, asked: "Wait ! Isn't that how its supposed to happen." (as in, aren't you supposed to fall in love and then get married.) My other explanations: :) (pardon my chauvinism (if I can call it that) )....... women have become very career minded and hence do not have time for relationships, hence the advent of matrimonial sites and the whole saga of express interest, accept interest and other matrimonial site jargon I am sure many people out there , (even those who ultimately went for love marriages after all ) will identify with.

From my side, I can't really see much difference. So in love, you choose someone. In arranged, you choose someone too. You did not actually blindly go for the guy or girl, you did see whether you were compatible. Well yes, so it did not actually happen to be a coincidence, he or she didn't just cross your path and you didn't exactly meet him/her and think "This is my soul-mate". Lets be real, how many people actually do fall in love? (This brilliant piece of advice is thanks to a friend :)).

I probably sound quite the cynic here, and I had thought I would omit any explanation/justifications about that. But I just couldn't brutally murder the romantic in me, just like that. :) So, just a year or so ago , I would probably have lectured you on how there is this unexplainable thing called love, how there is this one person you would want to grow old with, this one person whom you would like to share the sunsets and sunrises with, to enjoy walks on the beach, to wade into the water and leave footprints in the sand, to read books together and argue about your different views, to quarrel and make up, to tease and to love, to never look at the time when you are together, to chat about nothing and everything, about how in that one person's eyes you would feel loved and just by that, to feel on top of the world........about how in someone's eyes you would find yourself to be the most beautiful, and just by that you would be...... becoz as they say, you fall in love to rise again..... a whole new person, and its then that everything seems such a beautiful place..... about this one person with whom you would want to spend the rest of your life with. :) Sigh !! Well in my heart of hearts I still hope all this is true, but there is a lot of difference with being on the right side of 25 and the wrong side of 25. And though I have been bashed up by friends for saying this, I don't want to sound like a grandma, but yes ... there is some point where you have to look at the real side of things too. I end my soliloquy here.

So somebody please give me a good enough definition of arranged marriage which will not make it seem like some deathly evil. Its amazing how arranged marriages are looked upon here, and how love marriages are looked upon back home. :) I wonder which is more ironic !!

7 comments:

Raja said...

The point is not about love marriage or arranged marriage.

It is about whether you and your partner can experience that selfless love and appreciation for each other.

It is about the innerself that says lets face 1000 problems, 1000 hardships and few nice moments together and experience it together. The strong bond that grows out of it, is the only thing that matters.

Who cares if a cake is made in aluminium bowl or silver bowl. What matters is the cake.

What is ironic is, no one looking into the process of cake making. Instead trying to value it from the bowl.


A philosopher needs a different fables based on culture, geography, history to convey a higher truth.

It would really hurt him when people start dissecting the fable and start arguing while the underlying philosophy goes for a six.

Anshuman said...

this is one of my fav topics, and I can put up my essays right here, right now :-D But, those logistics are not for public consumption and shall remain restricted to a few select friends (whom I enlighten once in a while with peppered philosophy ;-D )

I would say -
Arranged marriage is like tossing a coin. You have half chance to end up happy (yes YES YeS yEs thats the aim, the ultimate goal - marry and be happy) and half a chance to end up unhappy.

I would prefer to marry a friend of mine, than marry a total stranger after looking at her matrimonial profile! Atleast I know my friend a bit, and the chances of me being happy with her later on, is something more than just 50%.

This funda sounds familiar, eh ? ;-)

shriram said...

Most thought provoking...and I wont litter this page with my views..but dont you worry,specially for you I am formulating a new perspective of an arranged marriage,that I will unload upon you today:D

shriram said...

I have done what I promised-
http://mymercurialmoods.blogspot.com/2007_08_01_archive.html.
Please read and comment:)

Anshuman said...

you shd see the fun happening at Shriram's blog, especially the comment box ;-)

Anshuman said...

HBO aired you-have-got-mail today.. what a co-incidence :-D

Rams said...

no matter what the definition, the part no one shares is that both involve the world of inlaws and that's what makes or breaks either an arranged or luv marriage. No matter what luv and appreciation like rajaprabhu said...my experience proves to be very differnt:)