Sunday, June 10, 2007

I have landed ...on Seattle moon :)

Whoa !! I guess my interest in writing is directly proportional to my mood and so is my keeping in contact with friends, mails, chats and everything. :) Well there's been so many things thats happened and I never got time or the interest to put any of the down on paper or rather on screen.

I finally graduated. I am indebted to UofA for finally seeing me through to a Master's degree. Its been painful :) in a lot many ways but I am done with it. The graduation was a very proud moment , I just wish my parents, brother could have been there to see me get the degree. But thats fine. Maybe they will be able to make it for a more important degree.....

After that I was in Maryland for a week, at home with Paramitadi and Dipanda, and I had the most lovely break after graduation. Among all my batch-mates, I probably joined my job the soonest (within a week) but I never felt that I needed a longer break. Maryland ended with another surprise birthday party, (all planned by Paramitadi and Dipanda and helped along by my obvious stupidity and blindness and lack of common sense.) and even though it was two days in advance, I never felt the need for a birthday party on my actual birthday. I also visited Virginia and found it to be a beautiful state. We drove along Virginia roads to the song Take me home country roads, by John Denver. And if you have not seen it, it is exactly how I would imagine an English countryside to be.

I would have stuck with Virginia being the most beautiful state I have seen so far (yes even more than California....... because it has an untouched beauty about it which California does not seem to have, or maybe I haven't been to California in a long time.) if it had not been that I got a chance to see Seattle.

In the past 3 weeks since I have landed, I got to go around the most pretty roads of Seattle, The Lake Blvd, the Magnolia Blvd........ if its sunset, and you have the blue bay on one side of you and the most picturesque houses on the other, and Seattle skyline in the distance..... the only thing you can do is stop and stare.
Since I have spent most of my time in Seattle in downtown or Redmond, seeing something so green and beautiful so close to the city, and thinking that oh my god !! Seattle does have it all ..... is amazing.

Just for the record and so I always remember, I joined my job on my birthday. So I will age at my job as I age in life :).

Apart from that Seattle is the same old, there is the Ye Old Curiosity shop right in the middle of the piers, the Argosy cruises have already started, the weather is not very co-operative but is unable to dampen the fun of enthusiastic tourists. There is a sailing ride which takes off from the piers and has a special sunset tour, there is the duck tour which I had wanted to do before I left last time but didn't get time to. (Apparently, the tour bus is in the form of a duck and rides on both land and water.)

But I guess this time I will have time.

I was checking how soon I come to my cracking point and I found I really don't take time at all. The last three weekends and some weekdays were mostly spent on apartment hunting. It was very frustrating at times, especially when you take a wrong bus and land in a residential area and find you are lost and there is not a soul on the road to redirect you, but then these are part of the game. Also part of the game is getting apartments too expensive, or not in the right location or not with the greatest of fittings, or just not right or just not available.
But....I finally did land one, right in front of the bay. But.... I realized my demands were too much, a view , a deck, a downtown apartment, all for a reasonable price is just not the right mix of ingredients. And so I learnt that I have to compromise on somethings........ which were half the things in the above list. I still don't know why I took the apartment I did, its more like the apartment chose me. I was so hell-bent on this apartment in Redmond, I had hardly thought, that I would change my mind on the morning of the day I was supposedly going to sign the lease. And its not like the apartment has all the features I liked in other apartments or which I dismissed other apartments for. Infact, this is probably the first time in my life, I cannot boast of a room with a view.
But there is a beautiful rooftop deck which has a view of the entire bay in front and the top of the space needle at the back. And I think the location is perfect. :) I couldn't have wanted anything more in that aspect and the apartment itself should be a cozy fit for one person.

Well, this was to be the first time I would be completely on my own and I did want everything to be perfect. But then I learnt that you have to compromise :). And thats fine. I also learnt that sometimes happiness comes off being happy for others. And I am sorry I missed the formula of being happy on BBC. And I finally am sane enough to write again !! Well, life seems fine so far. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, what can I write, to say that Seattle is a beautiful place would be an understatement. More so if you are fond of the outdoors. Sometimes it's absolutely breathtaking. The rain doesn't seem to help always but well probably that what gives it it's charm. I am gald to hear that you found the apartment of ur choice. Apt. hunting is really a tough job and I know how it was for me. Going through craigslist or thousand and one rental websites or driving through good neighbourhoods and looking for "Rooms Available" signs and then finally calling up ppl and fixing appointments. Checking every apartment, balancing rent, location, condition of apt, view etc..it's so confusing at times, isn't it. So u r in downtown Redmond( I know you will not answer that question but anyway I can always ask, although the choice of answering the question is entirely urs(-:). Commuting from Redmond may take time though if ur office is in Seattle, but fortunately the traffic is not as bad as NY or LA. Redmond is also quieter and a nice place. Lots of Indians and the indian store Mayuri is also very close in case you r fond of indian stuff.

Btw I hope the website busview.org I had sent was helpful. It was very helpful to me. Well anyway it was great to see a blog after a while. I knew you were keeping busy. the next part will be buying furniture and other stuff for the house. That will also take quite a few weeks. I hope you have started it.

Anyway I hope u have enough friends in Seattle to help you with the information you need.If not feel free to contact members of Uttoron. I have already given you a few names and I can also give you more names if you need, although truthfully I don't think u will ask (-: (I am becoming quite a mind reader, aren't I ;-))

Btw what else did u see in Virginia although I don't quite think Virginia is more beautiful (-:. It has a lot of heritage and history and is a great place if you are fond of civil war history etc..but for a place with natural beauty in it's pristine form I think california or Washington is better.